Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Goings On

I can't believe I only have one more week off work to spend full time with the babies.  That is going to suck, isn't it?  They will be seven weeks old tomorrow.

Part of the daycare paperwork is to define a schedule for the babies for them to follow.  Despite my initial good intentions, I haven't really enforced a schedule around here.  They demand their feedings about every 3 hours, but I don't have set times that I have them eat and I don't insist that they eat at the same time.  But now I need to plan for how many feedings I expect them to have at daycare so that I can pump milk over the next 10 days so they have something to eat!  I'm thinking I'll have them eat at 6 am (after my shower, before we leave for work), 9 am, 12 pm, 3 pm at daycare, and then 6 pm and 9 pm at home.  And if they want midnight and 3 am feedings, that's fine too.  Any advice or feedback on this plan?  They'll be 8 weeks old when they start daycare.

I had my 6 week follow-up appointment yesterday.  I am at 201 lbs! I know that may not sound like a number one would excitedly put an exclamation point behind, but that is actually low for me these days.  When I successfully lost 25 pounds on Weight Watchers last year, that got me down to 199 lbs. That's pretty much where I was when we started the FET cycle. So for breast feeding and twin tending alone to get me within 2 pounds of that is exciting.   And I eat ALL THE TIME. I am seriously ravenous all day.  I guess supplying milk for 2 babies burns a lot of calories. Who knew? Now that I'm cleared to exercise, maybe I can truly get to a weight I'm happy at.  My short term goal is 185 lbs. I would say that I'll keep you updated on my progress, but anyone who has read my blog for any period of time knows that I am not a reliable updater!

In exciting news:
  • Egan slept through the night last night! I don't know how he did that. Of course, now I'm worried that he's not getting enough to eat because he's sleeping so much.  Worry: it's what I do.
  • Zoe has officially rolled over twice.  Once at 5w2d and again at 5w6d.
  • Egan rolled over twice in a row this week at 6w3d
Well-rested Egan after sleeping through the night

Zoe: Tummy Time Extraordanaire

They aren't smiling yet. I am really looking forward to that! I guess they'll be a little slower since they were 4 weeks early, but I am certainly ready for a little encouragement that they like me - at least some small fraction as much as I like them :)  Last night Egan was fussing up a storm for Forest while I was nursing Zoe.  After she was finished I asked him if he wanted to trade. He said, "I would feed him if I were you" but he had just eaten an hour and a half before.  I was very proud that I snuggled him and talked to him and he calmed down.  If I can't get a smile, at least I have that!

Lis asked last time about the crib arrangement.  Right now they are in the same crib with a divider.  This is because Forest and I have not yet moved out of their room. I consider it their room now because it has all of their clothes, toys, and care items in it, but the only thing of ours in there is the bed!  Once we get the den fixed up and converted to our room, we will set up the other crib and they'll sleep separately in the same room. That's the plan, anyway.  At our pace, we should have that done by the time they start kindergarten ;)

Emotionally, I've never been happier.  It kind of feels like I've been in a fog for the last 34 years or so, waiting for my life to begin.  I guess I had an Egan and Zoe shaped void in my heart, and now it is full.  I feel like a better mom, better housekeeper (still not great, but definitely better!), and better wife.  We'll see if this keeps up when I go back to work - I sure hope it does!  I am just so thrilled to finally have these delicious babies that I wished, prayed, waited, longed, cried and worked for.  I told Katie the other day that I feel like I hit the Mommy Lottery to have 3 spectacular children.  But there has definitely been a lot of heartbreak and pain to get here, so right now I feel Karma Neutral.

So that's where I'm at today. Much love and hugs to you all!


Courtney said...

I know going back to work SUCKED!

I can't believe you don't have them eating at the same time. I know everyone does it differently, but that was the only way I could survive.

I always prepared extra for the sitter just in case.

Sorry your mat leave is!

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy!

I think the every 3 hour mark on the 3's is a great idea. I have used that same feeding schedule and time schedule for all my babies. It's just easier to remember, think about etc. Especially when you have multiple kidos. Taking the time to write down when Baby A ate, Baby B, then counting 3-4 hours from there was a pain in the tushy for me!

I think 201 sounds like a great number and 185 is very obtainable. The beer bread from Tastefully Simple is just the devil, keep that in mind! LOL!

As far as the kids room. From recent experience, get out of their room or your out of theirs early! Once they know you are right there they wake up more than needed or wanted. We were stuck with our boy in our room till he was almost a year and getting him use to being in his own room was a pain. Had I done it around 6 months or so I think it would have been perfect. However, we could not have him in the same room as the baby girls so he crashed in our room for much longer than we normally would have let him. Not in our bed, just in our room.

I hope the last week for you goes by super slow so you can enjoy all those babies have to offer!

PJ said...

We still do a feeding log, but we are formula feeding. STILL, we record every BM, wet, medicine, solid food, etc. I give the log to the sitter and she returns it. And when daddy or grandma (etc) takes over, they know where we're at. I think the feeding on the 3's is probably good. We did every 3 hours - whenever. Now we are up to every 4 hours.

Ours were 10 weeks old when they started daycare, and they transitioned well. It wasn't easy, but it was nice to talk to adults. I always say my ideal would be to work about 3 days a week. And of course, seeing the babies at the end of the day is the best part.

I was 193 when I got pregnant. I can't even remember how much I gained, but it wasn't that much, and then I lost weight after the pregnancy like crazy. I was down to 165 I think. I've since gained some of it back, but it was nice.

They are beautiful! So glad you're loving twin motherhood!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the weight loss. I love watching those cuties grow. It seems like you just had them! Sorry you are already having to go back to work.

twondra said...

They are soooo precious! Love to see you so happy!

Anonymous said...

They are so beautiful, Amy!! Love.

Good luck with the transition to daycare. And congrats on the weight loss!

Cyndi said...

They are just precious!

Just Another Mother said...

They are adorable!!! SO happy for you.